Welcome

Thanks for joining me.

I am not sure where this journey is going to take me, but I've a sense from others that it isn't going to be an easy ride. There will be setbacks, periods of slow progress, maybe even lapses into depression, and moments (I hope) of reward and elation. I can't tell what, when, how quite yet.

I'm going to be writing quickly and when I can, so don't expect great prose!

Tuesday 6 January 2009

Activation day

Just returned from activation and, I have to say, I am getting SO MUCH from the CI that I can't quite believe it...and all after four hours. Voices, trains, doors, levers, footsteps but, most important of all, the sound of my son Alex speaking to me. Four hours. Advanced Bionics, you have my profound admiration.

Blogging again soon, but for now it feels like the hope has returned.

Next day: ...and the wonders continue. I am hearing so much without any adjustment beyond the setup that it is quite unreal. I have just (and I can't quite believe it myself) had a meeting in the covered quadrangle of one of the main university buildings - a bustling meeting place if ever there was one - and held a perfectly good conversation with a colleague without lipreading on my part. I am astounded. The train journey to work was a little surreal (trains passing my train sounded quite eerie!) and the swish of cars reminded me of Michael Chorost's comment that, after his switch on, that was one of the things that impressed him.

No comments: