Welcome

Thanks for joining me.

I am not sure where this journey is going to take me, but I've a sense from others that it isn't going to be an easy ride. There will be setbacks, periods of slow progress, maybe even lapses into depression, and moments (I hope) of reward and elation. I can't tell what, when, how quite yet.

I'm going to be writing quickly and when I can, so don't expect great prose!

Wednesday 14 January 2009

Birds....

I am making such progress with the CI that I am trying hard not to get ahead of myself. My speech and language therapist at the RNTNE Hospital tells me not to run before I can walk, but the running ahead is fun. Now that I can hear conversation after one mapping session (one delayed courtesy of an illness for me that kept me confined to bed and off work), I've been consciously pressing the boundaries - listening to speech radio (BBC Radio 4 has the most wonderful afternoon plays), listening to spoken word recordings and following the text in a book and watching TV with the subtitles off, all with the intention of pushing me be less reliant on visual clues.

However, I have hit a small stumbling block in the mottled, feathered form of a bird regularly chirping outside my window at home. Now I know that birds are loud and that the human ear has come to, as it were, recess the sound; but the CI can't do that on it's own. At the moment I am trying to get to grips with a world in which the sound of a bird chirping can prevent me hearing other things and find a way of getting the brain to recess the sound. It'll come. I know it will. Until then, if anyone knows of a humane, efficient bird silencer, I am in the market for one...

No comments: