Welcome

Thanks for joining me.

I am not sure where this journey is going to take me, but I've a sense from others that it isn't going to be an easy ride. There will be setbacks, periods of slow progress, maybe even lapses into depression, and moments (I hope) of reward and elation. I can't tell what, when, how quite yet.

I'm going to be writing quickly and when I can, so don't expect great prose!

Tuesday 28 April 2009

Sad loss

I have not been blogging for some time because, on Wednesday of last week, my lovely lovely mother died. She had been ill for some time and - as the result of negligible effective treatment at the hands of medics in two hospitals - she went home to try to deal with numerous complications of a liver abscess, and died of a pulmonary embolism. I am devastated. Without my mum, my life simply would not have been possible; without her, the joys would not have been as acute, the setbacks and sadnesses would have received no balm of kindness and love. She was, as all her friends have been telling me in recent days, a very special person. I miss her so much, the pain is a physical pain.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Mark, I am so sorry :(. Please accept my condolences, late as they may be...they are sincere. How are you getting on now?

Mark Gray said...

Jennifer,

Many thanks. She was a very special person, as all mothers are I suppose. Her funeral was very moving not least because it was such a vivid celebration of her life. So many people told me of the kind and thoughtful things she had done for them: it made me even more proud to have been her son.

The CI is working wonderfully well. I am, frankly, now better on the hearing front than I have been for years - even before the finale for the hair cells in 2007 courtesy of an infection. I have been following your bilateral progress with interest, but for me that isn't apparently an option - but, hey-ho, I can hear again and it is fantastic.

Hope all is well with you and your family.