Welcome

Thanks for joining me.

I am not sure where this journey is going to take me, but I've a sense from others that it isn't going to be an easy ride. There will be setbacks, periods of slow progress, maybe even lapses into depression, and moments (I hope) of reward and elation. I can't tell what, when, how quite yet.

I'm going to be writing quickly and when I can, so don't expect great prose!

Friday 18 July 2008

The fuzzy future

Now this blog is about, well, deafness and CIs. Almost makes it seem as if I am obsessed with both to exlusion of all else but I do have another life, and that includes work in knowledge transfer. So reading some of the latest software technologies being developed for CIs and other neuroprosthetic devices is full of interest - not least from that KT perspective.

So many of the new developments consist of work to take advantage of the explosion of analysis in so-called 'fuzzy logic', the invention of mathematicians seeking to deal with decision rules and 'truth' where the precision of predicate logic is absent. The simple example of a temperature control device here should explain all.

What might this do for all sorts of prosthetic devices? Well, one obvious outcome is to enable a less 'mechanical' functioning of devices; but it should also make them more efficient.

No comments: